Monday, October 10, 2011

Magic Numbers

Last night I finally got past 30,000 words on the novel I'm writing! For some reason, 30k is the magic number where I actually start to believe, after I get there, that I can finish the book. The beginning is the part I hate the most, and I love finally getting away from it. A lot of writers say writing the middle is the worst for them. Personally, I like the middle (sure, I have my bi-weekly complete mental breakdown like every other writer, but that happens at all stages). By the time I get to the middle I have a pretty solid idea of where I'm going for the rest of the book, I know my characters, etc. I'm curious to know if other writers have a "magic wordcount number". Do you?

- Nicole

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting past the 30,000 mark!!! :) I think my number is around 35,000 to 40,000 but for me every story is a little different. I wish I was at the 30,000 mark right now on the new novel I'm writing but it will come soon enough. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too!

    ReplyDelete