Tuesday, August 16, 2011

My Favorite Writing Quotes

I've developed the habit of saving all my favorite writing quotes in one big document and referring to them in time on inspirational need. I've been a bit obsessed with them lately, though I haven't had time to search out new ones, but I thought I'd share some of the really good ones. Some of them I got from blog posts or articles and others I've just stumbled upon in the internetz, and a many from my favorite authors.

“Reality is a nice start. But don’t feel the need to stay there. If reality were so great in the first place, we wouldn’t have to write fiction.” - Barry Lyga

“Sure, inspiration comes sometimes - a sudden great idea you can’t wait to write down - but it’s not often and usually at inopportune times when you don’t have a pen.” - Cassandra Clare

“Core is what your novel is. It’s not what your novel is about. It’s the thing that made you want to tell this story and no other. It’s the theme, or the character, or the setting that made you love it.” - Maggie Stiefvater

“There’s a word for a writer who never gives up . . . published.” - J. A. Konrath

“If you want to get rich, go to law school and become a corporate attorney. If you want to do something fulfilling and be guaranteed a living wage, become a teacher. If you want to entertain and enlighten people, become a writer . . . and be prepared for the possibility that you’ll live on noodles for a long time.” - Barry Lyga

“Sometimes, writing feels like you're trying to carve a chihuahua out of an elephant with a chainsaw.” - Saundra Mitchell 

“Revision is when you first get to recognize the distance between what you wanted to write, what you thought you were writing, and what you actually did write. That recognition often makes you want to throw up.” - Carolyn See

“I realise people exist who don't read. But it's like I knew there were people who didn't breathe or eat: I can't imagine a life like that.” - Sarah Rees Brennan

“There are millions of people out there who think, ‘hey, I could write an awesome book.’ And they never do. Which is great - I hate competition. - Kiersten White

Do you have any favorite writing quotes??

- Nicole  

No comments:

Post a Comment