Monday, September 5, 2011

Top 5 Boarding School Books

Do you have a sub-genre/category of book that you really love? Like love triangles or faeries or books about summer? I love boarding school books. LOVE. I used to believe I hated fantasy ('cause I was dumb) and the only reason I finally picked up Harry Potter was because I wanted to know more about this thing called Hogwarts... The HP books became one of my favorite series' ever. I'm writing a YA contemp set at a boarding school right now and I loveee it. So I think I'll do a post listing my top favorite boarding school books that I've read (so far!)

1. Looking for Alaska by John Green - You might already know of my obsessive love for all things John Green. In my opinion, LFA is the greatest boarding school book. It is so funny and deep and amazing. The characters and setting and absolutely everything. Wow. Just read it if you haven't - though it does have some mature content.

2. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins - This is one of the most perfect books I've ever read, and a really close second favorite boarding school book of mine. Heart warming, romantic, swoon-worthy, atmospheric, and beautiful. I mean, seriously, a boarding school book in PARIS with a hot nerdy guy and a great MC. YES.

3. The Disreputable History of Frankie-Landau Banks by E. Lockhart - Aside from the fact that the title is annoying to type, I love this book. Frankie is a funny, smart, brave heroine and the whole books shines with girl power and intrigue and hilarity. I read this book and thought, "Okay, I totally need to write a boarding school novel now."

4. Paper Covers Rock by Jenny Hubbard - I read this book a few days ago and it inspired this post. This novel is set at a boarding school in the 1980s, about a boy whose roommate died under suspicious circumstances, who's in love with his English teacher. It's told in journal form (sort of) which I loved, and is in general totally awesome.

5. The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney - This one if about a boarding school where students are governed by a secret committee of fellow students called the Mockingbirds. The MC seeks help from this group after she is date-raped. Such a good book, and set really close to where I live, which is cool.


Do you like boarding school books? Have any recommendations? Do you have a favorite category of book?


- Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment