Saturday, September 17, 2011

Writing Superstitions

Since I've only finished one novel, I really don't have that much experience, however I have developed certain writing superstitions, some of which I don't mind, and some I'm trying to break.

I wrote my first novel during January through April of 2011, and I came to associate writing with winter, for some reason. There wasn't much to DO outside and such in the winter, and my classes weren't *that* hard last year, so I was writing at least 5-6k over the course of every weekend towards the end. I'd wake up and it would be cold outside and warm inside and it felt perfect to stay in and write. I had such a hard time getting even 20k out this summer. Definitely trying to break the only-writing-in-winter thing. But at least winter's coming, so maybe that'll help :D

And since it was winter I was drinking a ton of tea. Specifically, my drug of choice, Tazo brand chai. It's soooo good (I'm not trying to sell it, I promise lol). The very smell of it still makes me want to write. But in the summer it's too hot for anything but iced tea, and it's just not the same.

The last one I can think of is music. I'm obsessed with playlists for my novels and I can find hours searching for new songs that fit perfectly . . . when I should probably be writing :P I was thinking of sharing the playlist for my current WIP on the blog once I finish the first draft. Though it is still subject to change, so I'm not sure.

Do you have any writing superstitions/associations?

- Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment